Friday, October 16, 2009

Fast and Testimony Meeting

Last Sunday was Fast and Testimony Meeting. While I was sitting there, the thought occurred to me that I had never really discussed what that meant with Dexton. So I leaned over to him and whispered, "Today is Fast and Testimony meeting, people will be going up to the pulpit and bearing their testimonies today. Do you know what a testimony is?" He replied, "No." I tried to then explain what a testimony is as best as I could in lame mans terms. I said, "Just listen to the people going up today and you will see what I mean." After about 20 minutes Dexton looked at me and said, "I want to bear my testimony." I looked at Kevin and said, "Do you want to take him up?" Kevin told him that we should practice his testimony at family night and that way he could go up next month and do it all by himself. Dexton was disappointed and wanted to practice right then. So I started going over some things he could say. He looked at me and said, "I'm ready." I said, "No lets just wait." No sooner did those words come out of my mouth when Dexton stood up and started down the isle as fast as he could toward the pulpit. Kevin and I just looked at each other like are you going to go after him???? I took pity on the poor boy and hurried up the isle after him. I arrived at the front row of the chapel just as he arrived at the pulpit. His eyes were big, it was as if he was thinking, "What have I done!" I sat on the front row and looked up at him and helped him say the following.... "I'd like to bear my testimony, I know this church is true. I am thankful for the prophet. I am thankful for my family. I am thankful for my teachers. In the name of Jesus Christ amen." He did great! And everyone thought he did it all on his own because I wasn't standing up there behind him! I guess I have learned that I should be doing a better job teaching my children things at home during family home evening!

No comments: